Thursday, February 16, 2012

Always Love



My friend Daniela's dog Mona. She wants to be your Valentine! :)
Will you be my Valentine? 

I have never been a fan of Valentine's Day. I have always written it off as a meaningless “Hallmark” holiday full of candy and flowers. It simply doesn't make sense to me, if you truly want to express your love for someone, why do you need to wait for this particular day to do it? Suddenly on this day, every couple seems so "in love" and for a day, everything is perfect. But in my eyes, it seems so temporary.

This year however, was different from other years. I learned through my friends that Valentine's Day can be a day for more than just couples, but a day in which friends and family can share in their love for one another. And, sure enough, that is not too far from what the Feast of St. Valentine is really all about.


This past Tuesday, I received an email from my school's OCF which included a homily explaining the true meaning of Valentine's Day. St. Valentine was a priest in ancient Rome who rebelled against the laws of the Roman Empire by providing sacraments, such as marriage, to Christians. He was imprisoned for his actions and eventually beheaded.

I am completely blown away that a man could have such fearlessness and faith in God that even death could not stop him from proclaiming the truth. He had a love for God and a love for humanity that allowed him to live his life the way he did. 



"For the world, love can mean a lot of different things. It can refer to the deep communion experienced by a couple who have been married 50 years. Or "love" may simply refer to sex. More often than not it refers to romantic love, the feeling between a man and a woman. Too often it is nothing more than an over glorified puppy love. … When the world says, "I am in Love," they mean your knees are weak and your throat is dry and you are attracted to someone. … This "love" is often devoid of commitment and depth. … "Love" by the world's definition can be as flimsy and insubstantial as a cheap Valentine's Card.
But the Church's definition of love is quite different. For the Christian the ultimate example of that love is Jesus Christ. He is the living example of God's love. He came to this world so that the lost and lonely people of the world could experience the Kingdom of God."

I feel so blessed to know that the love of our is God is greater than any human could ever give or receive. Day by day I am reminded that this world is temporary and that the loved ones we so desperately hold on to will someday depart from us. And we can only pray, from the bottom of our hearts, that they will be able to live eternally in the kingdom of heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment