Friday, February 10, 2012

Returning Home : Sentimientos Agridulces

After horseback riding with Cumanda, Marcela, y Sarah
Nikki & I at Cotapaxi Volcano.
I honestly cannot believe that almost two months have passed since I left Ecuador. I feel like there is a piece of my heart missing. I miss my host family and Ana Lucia's family so greatly, and I wish I could express this to them, but it is so hard for me. Not only because of the language barrier, though that does play a role, but more so because I don't want to face that fact that I miss them so much. When I spoke with all of them on the phone, it was so difficult for me to even say, “I miss you.” Somehow my pride wouldn't allow it, wouldn't allow me to admit that I could feel hurt or feel pain from being away from them. I like to consider myself “emotionally detached,” for my ability to completely immerse myself in life there, then return home and give all my energy and focus to my life here, as if Ecuador never happened.

After a long week of traveling with Lee, Jules, and Jes.
My last day with Ana Lucia, Ariel, y Sarah
The only proof I have is the pictures. And the people. Calling a few friends I met in Ecuador this past week was a good reminder that I was actually there. But it's definitely painful, as I spent almost a year anticipating my semester abroad, four months away from home, and suddenly, it's all over, a flash before my eyes, and I don't even know what happened.



No comments:

Post a Comment